Friday, April 10, 2009

Writers speak: Life as a freelance writer

Freelancers, by the very nature of their business live on shaky ground. Whether they have a contract job with a corporation, are weekly or monthly contributors to a publication, or work by articles, or styling, or sewing, or singing, or what have you, never really feel secure. So while they have that contract, they are always keeping an eye open for a full time position, another contract, anything that will give them security.

They are the first line that falls when the economy becomes shaky. Their jobs are suddenly considered expendable, no matter if they’ve been a temporary administrative assistant working for a financial firm for ten years; they are the first to go.

Some of them have savings to rely on. Some of them have multiple skills that they can utilize and some of them have family that can help them through the rough patches.

Then again, some of them are like me. I left home at 17; yes, I ran away to college. While in college, I started my own business and luckily towards my senior year got a job in my field. It seems that I have always worked two jobs. While other people vacationed, I worked. I don’t have a family to rely on when things go badly for me. There isn’t a mom, dad, brother or sister who can shelter me from the storms. It’s just me. Alone. Well, I have a dog. She keeps me sane.

When I moved to New York City, I attempted to get a job in my field. I could only get freelance work. So I picked up another job. For years I have been a temporary administrative assistant and a freelancer. I never made much money, just enough to keep me afloat, buy dog food and the occasional pair of shoes, but I was happy. I had a roof over my head, food in the fridge. The temp agencies and their clients liked me; I was called again and again for assignments. My freelancing work was slow but steady. After a few years I was starting to make a name for myself in my field, I was starting to make contacts, and things were slowly looking up.

Then last spring temping started to dry up for me, the jobs became infrequent. I barely worked this past summer. Then the recession went into full swing. I haven’t temped since October. The companies who I freelance for announced that they were cutting payments for work so that they could keep afloat. I have exhausted all my savings and have less than $100 in my checking account. If I can sell anything I own on eBay, I’m doing it as you read this. Right now I am thankful that I have dog food, coffee and milk in the house.

In less than a week, I will lose my internet access, then I will lose my electricity, in one month’s time I will be homeless. My dog will have to be re-homed, and I will be on the streets.

This is just my story. There are others whose life stories are parallel to mine. We just want to work, to provide for ourselves, to pay our bills. Can you help us hang on a little longer?


This writer has chosen to remain anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment